Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 25th - Second meeting with supervisor (Entry #6)

We started off the meeting with once again, discussing the global context to my project, as mentioned in my previous post, myself, Ms. Nobert and Nicole agreed that the global context is Fairness and Development. After that, we moved on to discussing all the steps needed to complete this project, and when (just like an action plan). However, Nicole and I were both unsure about where in the project we are expected to be at during this time since we didn't really receive any information at all regarding the project... so Ms. Nobert gave us some guiding questions for us to answer so we have a better understand on our projects, goals and what is needed to be achieved. 

Why is this project interesting for you?

Choosing a project and topic that interests me is crucial for the personal project, since this project will last for about 1 year, that's why I must be interested in my topic in order to complete the requirements throughout the year. My idea is being a student representative of CDNIS, being part of the Terry Fox Run committee and organizing the event. This interests me since this marathon is for a very good cause: cancer research. I have very strong connections with cancer since I lost a young cousin, due to cancer. Along with that, I am the secretary of UNICEF club at CDNIS, therefore I need to organize meetings and learn hot they work, and also communicating with members allow me to improve my public speaking skills, which was ALWAYS my weakness during class. Finally, I like doing sports in general therefore a type of event like a marathon would be interesting to organize. Above are reasons why I believe I am interested in my project. 

What do you know about it?

After attending 2 meetings with the committee, I know that A LOT of work and planning is needed behind this event. However, I'm still a beginner about attending meetings, planning and organizing this huge event. I'm definitely going to be constantly learning throughout this project about how to organize an event like this.

How I know I've been successful?

  • Participants: 1500 people
  • Money: $800,000 HKD for new technology (to analyze circulating tumour cells, ultimately improving care for cancer patients
  • Being a committed committee member by attending meetings and doing what they tell me to do

Appropriately challenging?

Before deciding that I'm organizing an event for the personal project, I had other ideas in mind: designing and creating a pair of jeans from scratch. This idea for a project is definitely not too challenging since it would basically take only a short amount of time to complete, I've seen previous projects like designing a whole clothing line, which is way more challenging compared to my first idea. However, my idea of organizing a big event is challenging because there's a of "behind the scenes" work to do, attending monthly meetings, completing tasks on time requested by the committee and communicating back and forth between CDNIS and the committee.



0 comments:

Post a Comment